GameTime recently completed an accessible community playground at San Gabriel Park in Georgetown, Texas. The project replaced a wooden play structure constructed in 1993 that was no longer compliant with updated federal and state guidelines regarding accessibility. The City of Georgetown began planning the project in the Spring of 2013 with landscape architects from Baker, Aicklen & Associates. The community wanted to preserve as much of the history of the original playground as possible, pay tribute to the hundreds of volunteers who helped construct it and create a new playground that represented the history of their community. To help achieve these goals, they turned to GameTime.
“Selecting GameTime and Total Recreation Products [the exclusive GameTime agency in Texas] was an easy choice,” said Eric Nuner, Georgetown’s Parks & Recreation Assistant Director. “They have extensive experience transforming play areas of this nature, making them compliant with modern standards and incorporating a community’s heritage and history into the playground.”
The new playground incorporates paintings and wood carvings from the original playground and uses custom sculptures and modern playground equipment to represent the history of the community, including:
- Giant boulder and teepee climbers: pre-settlement period and Native American encampments
- Accessible PowerScape play system with a fast and fun Triple Slide: San Gabriel River Falls
- Cows, hay bales and wagon wheel sculptures: settlement period from the 1700s to the 1850s
- Store front panels along the face of the play system: industrial period in the community from the 1850s to 1950s
- Massive custom tower structure: surge in Georgetown’s growth since the 1950s
- Modern-style X-Scape play system: the community’s commitment to continued growth and creation of new opportunities for its citizens
Hundreds of people were on hand for the Grand Opening to celebrate the past and future of Georgetown’s commitment to play. For GameTime, it was an especially gratifying moment to help the community reach their objectives. “GameTime’s efforts were key to bringing together the shared vision of the new Creative Playscape,” said Mr. Nuner. “The new playground accomplishes our goal of honoring Georgetown’s history while providing an accessible and imaginative play environment for the next generation of children.”
About GameTime: GameTime has been a pioneer in the commercial playground industry since 1929 with a commitment to enriching childhood through play. GameTime combines the vast wealth of research and intellectual resources of our parent company PlayCore with an unmatched distribution network to lead the industry with innovative products, programs and play environments that inspire a child's imagination and promote health and wellness for future generations.